Another buildings of the former Baildon steel works are being laid in ruins. Trans-Ziem was commissioned to conduct the demolition of old brick halls. The property is located close to the Silesia City Center shopping mall and is owned by Leroy Merlin.
The plot and the buildings are located in the junction of Johna Baildona and ks. Karola Żmija streets, opposite Silesia Business Park which is currently under construction. The subjected parcel of land covers the area of 20 000 sq. meters. In general, the Leroy Merlin’s store surfaces area ranges from 6 500 to 17 000 sq. meters. The company has not yet confirmed to build a new facility on the plot. If erected, it would be the second store of the chain in Katowice – the existing one is situated on Alpejska St. close to the „3 Stawy” shopping mall.
Leroy Merlin is the France’s largest do-it-yourself and home improvement chain. It was established in 1923 and now owns more than 300 stores in 13 countries. The company is present in eight locations in the Silesia voivodeship.
The Baildon steel works, where the demolition works are being executed, operated from 1823 until 2001 and was built by Scottish engineer John Baildon.