The year 2009 was interesting for a retail market in Katowice, though there were no new retail space under construction. However, new projects of Galeria Katowicka, Supersam and extension of Silesia City Center and Rawa Park Handlowy were announced. The developers’ plans, encouraged by a low vacancy rate and potential of the Upper Silesian Agglomeration, increase the volume of planned retail space significantly.
At present, there are 7 shopping centers in Katowice which covers a total area of 221 600 sq. meters. About 74 500 sq. m. are occupied by hyper and supermarkets. Following 6 shopping and entertainment centers with the area of 154 500 sq. m. are planned to be developed in the City.
- The most advanced retail schemes planned in Katowice
– Galeria Katowicka (Neinver): 52 000 sq. m.
– Extension of Silesia City Center (Immofinanz): 18 500 sq. m.
– Extension of Park Handlowy Rawa (Inter IKEA): 17 000 sq. m.
– Supersam (Centrum Development & Investments): 17 500 sq. m. (change of final retail space is possible)
At the end of Q1 2010, a modern retail space in the Upper Silesian Agglomeration reached 940 700 sq. meters which is the second Polish score after Warsaw. About 670 000 sq. m are planned to be delivered in the Agglomeration next years.
Amounts of the existing and planned retail space based on King Sturge’s researches